Friday, October 19, 2012

Is Suri the next to be sue'd by the Guild?



This week in class we are reading about how the Amazon Kindle 2 "read to you" mode has created quite the buzz which leads me to ask since Amazon is compatable with every electronic device on the planet (most come already preloaded) and the "read to you" mode is most likely a software upgrade that can be downloaded or used in a different way is Suri the next one on the Guild's List of copywrite offenders?  Apple's Suri reads you everything on your phone what about your books?  She is reading just the same as the electronic "no name" on the Kindle 2.  Not to say that I am for or against the fight of man vs. machine but I feel this is either a get with the program or scram kind of deal.  There is no comparision between an electronic voice and the actors giving articulation and charactor to a voice on a "books on tape" rental from the library.  At pennies on the hundred dollar bill I find this whole thing to be quite comical.  To be in such an uproar over the silliest thing, a robot voice would just make me laugh!  I would not buy the Kindle 2 just for a voice I would buy it for its various features.  I just think the Guild needs to take a step back and re evaluate the situation they are now faced with in the Twenty First Century.

No comments:

Post a Comment